Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kodak Technical Pan

Kodak technical pan film was an 'almost' panchromatic film, which means it responds to the whole spectrum of light.  We don't have to worry about this much nowadays, because all black and white film is panchromatic.  At one time, black and white film was Orthochromatic, meaning it responded very weakly to red spectrum.







In every photo forum I have visited, someone is there singing the praises of kodak tech pan film.  It supposedly leans more to the red spectrum of light, simulating the application of a red filter to the lens, and darkening blues (sky) and lightens reds.  I shot this roll at 200ASA, as reccomended.  It is supposed to have a very wide exposure latitude, but the sharpness I got with my new Mamiya Sekor DTL1000 and  sekor 55mm lens seems sufficient at 200EI...I might try 16EI with the next roll I come across to see if the claims about the film are true.  All in all, it was a great test for the new/old camera and even though the film was expired at least 6 years ago, it performed nicely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of a sudden everything lately seems sharper and cleaner. Or is it because I just woke up?